Hosts: Vincent Racaniello, Dickson Despommier, Alan Dove, and Rich Condit
On episode #105 of the podcast This Week in Virology, Vincent, Dickson, Alan, and Rich review eradication of rinderpest, endogenous hepatitis B virus in the zebra finch genome, and identification of the cell receptor for an extinct retrovirus.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV #105 (66 MB .mp3, 92 minutes)
Subscribe to TWiV (free) in iTunes , at the Zune Marketplace, by the RSS feed, or by email, or listen on your mobile device with Stitcher Radio.
Links for this episode:
- Eradication of rinderpest
- Rinderpest in the Merck Veterinary Manual
- Rinderpest summary (pdf)
- Manual on the preparation of rinderpest contingency plans
- Walter Plowright obituary
- The Plowright vaccine
- Measles evolution from rinderpest
- Endogenous hepadnaviruses in the genome of the zebra finch (PLoS One)
- Receptor for an extinct retrovirus (PNAS)
- Vertical farm: NPR post and YouTube video
- Letters read on TWiV 105
Weekly Science Picks
Dickson – Winged Migration
Alan – Web-accessible shortwave receivers
Rich – Personal Genome Project
Vincent – XVIVO scientific animation
Send your virology questions and comments (email or mp3 file) to email@example.com or leave voicemail at Skype: twivpodcast. You can also post articles that you would like us to discuss at microbeworld.org and tag them with twiv.