Hosts: Vincent Racaniello, Alan Dove, and Rich Condit
Vincent, Alan, and Rich review an outbreak of rabies in arctic foxes and reindeer in Norway, and a prion that makes you go antiviral.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV 153 (55 MB .mp3, 92 minutes).
Subscribe to TWiV (free) in iTunes , at the Zune Marketplace, by the RSS feed, by email, or listen on your mobile device with the Microbeworld app.
Links for this episode:
- Goodbye Dennis Ritchie (boingboing)
- Rabies in Svalbard (Eurosurveillance)
- Where is Longyearbyen? (Google maps)
- Svalbard global seed vault (Wikipedia)
- WHO map of rabies prevalence (pdf)
- US rabies surveillance, 2010
- A prion-like aggregate in innate immunity (Cell)
- Virology lectures on prions (#24) and virus entry (#5)
- Susan Lindquist on prions at FiB (#77, #57)
- TWiV on Facebook
- Letters read on TWiV 153
Weekly Science Picks
Alan – Amoebas microscope drive 2011
Vincent – WolframAlpha
Rich – Genesis by Ramos David (YouTube)
Listener Pick of the Week
Bill –Virolution by Frank Ryan
Send your virology questions and comments (email or mp3 file) to email@example.com, or call them in to 908-312-0760. You can also post articles that you would like us to discuss at microbeworld.org and tag them with twiv.